My favourite purchase last year was my Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre S Regatta. I have been using this wonderful watch for a couple of months now and would like to cover its features in this post.
While capable of complex chronograph functions, this watch is amazingly simple to use on a daily basis.
The hour and chronograph functions are displayed by the central hands (hour, minute and second). With no fewer than 230 mechanical components and five bi-directional micro-engines, the watch has the following functions:
- Intuitive chronograph legibility with tenth-of-a-second precision.
- Measurement of simple and intermediary time and two elapsed times.
- Retrograde date with a perpetual calendar to 2099.
- Countdown scale for regattas, configurable as desired from -10 to -1 minute.
- Anti-clockwise movement of central hands in “REGATTA” mode, then clockwise once the countdown is over, as the Chronograph is triggered automatically.
Some of the other features of the watch as reported on this watch’s product page on Tag Heuer website:
- Dial: Sophisticated and sporty. Luminescent markers for improved legibility in darkness. Monochrome TAG Heuer logo. “AQUARACER – Calibre S – 300 meters” inscription.
- Hands: Set with diamonds with polished facets and coated with a luminescent material for improved legibility in darkness.
- Case: Stamped in a block of solid steel with a diameter of 41 mm.
- Crystal: Scratch-resistant sapphire crystal.
- Bezel: Fixed aluminum bezel with countdown scale (from -10 to -1 minute) for regattas.
- Case back: Screw-down case back assuring water-resistance up to 300 meters. Diving bell decoration stamped on case back.
- Bracelet: Triple-row bracelet in satin-finish, polished steel. Double security clasp with folding blade and extension system allowing for the piece to be worn over a diving suit.
If you are ever experienced the problem of seconds hand misalignment (which may occur due to shocks), the head over to this tutorial on a friend’s blog.
Also watch a Youtube video of this watch in action (describing the easy to use chronograph features):